Pages

Translate

Sunday 16 September 2012

My personal challenge - week one's block is complete!


Hurrah my wool has arrived and I'm super chuffed with how beautiful these colours are - the latte and almond are 100% wool; the blue is 100% cotton. I am super excited to start my projects!
  

Now to start the Krista throw. This was actually a promotion run by Australian Retailer Spotlight [click for more about Spotlight] who created a Facebook page and event for a CAL (crochet along). Even thought the event has finished the group is still there and after seeing the pictures of their throws I am totally motivated to make one of these for myself.
 
Even though the actual promotion has finished running the patterns for the blocks are still available online and I'm going to work my way through them. First step is to familiarise myself with the first pattern, its called "Spotlight block of the week 01" and is online at http://promotions.spotlight.com.au/Facebook/Block%20of%20the%20week/spotlight_block_of_the_week__01.pdf
 
After I make a few of these I'll see if I can find someone who will CAL with me so that I'll stay motivated and complete the throw - its so pretty!
 
So how did I go...
 
Week one's square is a good ole fashioned "granny" - and the pattern calls for a 6.5mm crochet hook to have a final crochet square of around 22cm.

Of course I only have a 6mm hook and will need to improvise so I thought to make two squares to see how they look i.t.o. size and tension.  
 
I made two squares with 8ply or worsted yarn and used a 6mm crochet hook for the block on the right and a 2mm crochet hook to make the block on the left.


From the trial blocks I learnt that the block on the right is 22cm and so I made my block for week one with the 6mm hook.
  
And here it is - tadda - week one's block, TICK!

 
Oh I can't wait to start week two - this project is a good way to dust off some of the ole skills and come out of it with a beautiful blanket at the end!
 
oOo

No comments:

Post a Comment